Sunday, September 20, 2009

Freedom!

I have had an incredibly liberating couple of weeks. It is our goal to have our house on the market as quickly as possible. Moving into an apartment will help orient us to living in a smaller space and allow us to more aggressively pay off debts. Paring down now will alleviate that chore for us later. We leave for training in one year. As we move closer to the date of departure, it will benefit us greatly to be fully focussed on the days ahead, preparing our hearts and minds for the people of Belgium and raising our needed support.

We are in the process now of selling or tossing many of our possessions. And so, I started going through the house and removing things in phases. At first, it was difficult to know what to do with each item. It's an odd thing, going through each item you own and deciding if it is to be treasured (stored) or tossed. I have never been materialistic, but who doesn't like nice things around them? It makes a home feel homey.

I have recently come to terms with traveling light. Very light. We are bringing only suitcases. The cost of shipping is out of the question. At first, I didn't see how it could be done. But as I've gone through my stuff, I have realized that I truly don't need it. I like it. But it's not necessary. What is necessary is that Christ be preached in a lost and darkened world. Hold that up to a pretty dish or a favorite comforter and there's really no contest, huh?

So I am free! We will bring some clothes and shoes, some books, sheets and 2 pans. I gotta have my pans!!! We are boxing up the pictures, home movies, heirlooms, a few favorite things and other treasures. Everything else is piling up in the garage for a BIG yard sale.

I love the Lord and I love the journey we are on.

No comments:

Post a Comment